As summer comes to an end, families prepare for the school year ahead. This is always a time of mixed emotions, and now with so many unknowns, anxiety and concern could take hold. ConnCAN is here to cut through the noise and provide you with a few essentials for the upcoming school year. We hope that this information reduces stress and puts you on the right track for the academic year 2021-22.
Here are our tips for a great start!
- Take 30 minutes to go on your district’s website. Here, you’ll see reopening plans, lunch menus, back-to-school supply lists and information bulletins on health and safety.
- Sign up for district updates so that you get the important news fast! Nearly every district website has a “sign-up” button.
- Get to know your child’s principal and teacher. Soon, the school will reach out to you with information about which teacher(s) your child has for the upcoming year. If teachers provide contact information, reach out to them to introduce yourself and build a line of communication. This will pay dividends for the entire school year. Communication is key!
- Acquire school supplies. While some districts will send out materials for your child, you may have to provide some of the supplies yourself. Make sure your child has at least a backpack, folder, a notebook and writing utensils on the first day. You want your child to be prepared to take notes and bring home any important papers. Many towns do supply drives to help families get the supplies they need.
- Keep an open mind. This year will require patience and grace. With an ever-evolving COVID environment and a full in-person model, things will likely change throughout the year. Be proactive if you have questions and don’t be afraid to speak up if something doesn’t sit right with you.
- Find joy throughout your day. No matter the issues, a positive attitude and outlook will help your child feel the same.
At ConnCAN, we are so excited to welcome students back to CT public schools. We’ll keep fighting to ensure all school options are high-quality and produce the outcomes for kids that match their potential. We’ve also built a “Back to School Essentials” guide for districts. Check that out here!
Now get to class and have fun!